Who We Are
LASOAR, the Louisiana Association of Sports, Outdoor Adventure, and Recreation, is a Nonprofit Organization based in Lafayette, Louisiana.
Our mission is to reconnect children to the natural world and promote the power of play to improve child and family health and well-being.
Recent data compiled by the Annie E. Casey Foundation on Child and Family Health shows Louisiana ranking 48 out of 50, making us one of the unhealthiest states in the nation. (Updated August 22, 2017)
- Create programs and initiatives to encourage families to get out and get active
- Collaborate with other organizations having a similar mission to combine our efforts and accomplish more
Vision to Improve the Health of Louisiana
Communities with safer city parks, more organized programs utilizing green spaces, and trail systems linking neighborhoods and playgrounds with multiple access points. The National Recreation and Park Association reports, "Emphasis on expanded recreation initiatives will encourage greater use and ultimately create a safer park environment."
- Sport and recreational activities that are all-inclusive and focus on teamwork, social development, and kinesthetic learning where children can discover their talents and foster a passion for fitness and sport.
- Community gardening projects that educate children about soil, native plants, and growing their own food to promote healthy eating and environmental consciousness.
- More opportunities for Louisiana children to hike through the woods, explore Louisiana waterways, play in the dirt, and join others to become stewards of the environment and lead a life of high quality.
LASOAR employs Louisiana Certified Teachers and all educational programs are aligned with Louisiana Health and Physical Education Content Standards. Adventure Guides are highly experienced and have received appropriate certifications in their field. We maintain up to date American Red Cross First Aid and C.P.R. Certifications for all on-site personnel and Directors.